Wednesday, January 7, 2015

8 Years

Is it weird that I seriously forget how many years we've been married all the time.  I am not one of those wives that has all of our dates (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.) mapped out weeks in advance. Most of the time I completely forget and say something to Jared like, "Oh dude, I think our anniversary is this Friday. What year did we get married again? How many years has it been? Wanna order a pizza or something?" haha! Seriously, I am not joking.

Honestly, it feels like Jared and I have been together forever. I know that sounds cliche, but it's true. Of course, going to elementary, junior high, and high school together also helps. As does going to the same church, having parents in the same Bible study group, and having a sister in Jared's mom's elementary class. Jared is my heart, my other half, my partner in life, and I am so glad that our lives crossed paths in so many ways so many years ago.

People told us that when we have kids we won't remember what it was like before them. That is so untrue. Jared and I remember quite well what life without kids was like. However, with Jared, it really is hard for me to remember life without him. Yes, I can do it if I really try, but mostly when I think of my past, present, and future Jared is there.  Perhaps it's because we have been together for almost 12 years now and have a long past together with school and church, as I mentioned above. Perhaps when we've had our kids for that long I will have forgotten what life before kids was like too. ;)

Our chill approach to anniversaries does not reflect a chill approach to our love for each other. Jared is such a precious gift to me. I am constantly blown away by his heart, his involvement in our home with everything from house chores, grocery shopping, making meals, running errands, to spending TONS of quality time with our kids, helping with the kids' baths, diapers, nap and bed time routines, making up bed time stories to tell Jack at night, etc.. I am blown away by his attentiveness and tenderheartedness to our kids, his willingness to do whatever he can to help and support me in life, his ability to quickly forgive and not hold grudges, his loyalty, his ability to love me and put up with me on my crankiest of days, his willingness to sacrifice so much for his family, his love for music and his ability to play many different instruments and compose music (he creates such beautiful music), his incredible work ethic, his insanely smart brain, his ability to fix and create anything he puts his mind to, his ability to make me laugh, even when I don't want to, and soooo much more. Jared is so patient and loving and slow to become angry.  He is such a catch...a rare catch, and I thank the LORD above for blessing me with this sweet man that I absolutely do not deserve.

This year we celebrated our anniversary a couple of days early because our anniversary was on a Monday (November 10), so we went out the Saturday before.  Jared's mom and step-dad watched Jack while we enjoyed lunch and a movie. We ate at a local Mexican restaurant, then saw the movie Interstellar. It was sooo good. Very sci-fi, very slow, and very long but oh so enjoyable for us sci-fi nerds to watch. Ha! Plus we are typically huge fans of Christopher Nolan's films, and this one did not disappoint. Overall, it was a fun date celebrating our marriage and history together! :)

Here is a picture of me, Jack, and Jared taken after our anniversary date. I think this was our last family of 3 picture before Emma arrived a couple of days later. :)



I love you, Jared Simmons. You have my heart, and I love all of the memories we've created together over the past 12 years. I am looking forward to creating many more happy memories with you...as many as the LORD allows us to share. Happy 8 Year Anniversary, my love!! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Carissa/Jared!!

What a wonderful tribute to your Husband!

Aside from your deep love, I believe that is the greatest and most endearing gift he could receive... the praise and adoration expressed from the heart and lips of his wife!

It was BEAUTIFUL!!

Anonymous said...

Oops!! Forgot to mention...I love the family pics! GOOD LOOKING FAMILY!! :)

Carissa said...

Thank you so much, Patsy!! :)

Susan said...

This made my day! Being Jared's mom and raising him has been the greatest joy of my life, and the most wonderful blessing. So after reading your sweet post, I can say with all confidence that I did something right (with God's hand and help). I have never been prouder of anything or anyone more than I am of the man, husband, and father my son has become! And he also showed exceptional wisdom and judgement when he chose you (although you chose each other, of course) to marry :-)