Today I submitted my thesis proposal and it was approved by my instructor!! Whew! Huge sigh of relief over that one. Next on my "to do" list is to refine my literature review and begin to conduct my research. Which means I need to work with San Jac this week in order to find out what I need to do to hold focus groups and interviews with some students on campus in the next couple weeks. I am praying that this part works out smoothly because there are a lot of variables that need to fall into place.
I am also co-teaching another college success course this semester. The good thing about this is that it is a 12 week course that won't start until February 14. This buys me some time to get as much of my thesis started and in progress before my success course kicks in. Once it does my work load is going to increase significantly between advising, teaching, and thesis work.
While this entire semester is going to be rather demanding, the especially challenging part will come near the end. My thesis course will end around May 2nd with graduation on May 7th. My college success course ends that following week of May 14. So I will need to juggle grading and finals prep for my college success course, while at the same time putting the finishing touches on my thesis and completing my oral defense. I am also hoping to fly to Spokane for the graduation ceremony on Saturday May 7th, and then be back in time to deliver the finals for my college success course that Monday. Whew!
I am grateful to the LORD for the peace He is giving to me right now. I have found the historical accounts of the kings of Judah a comfort these past few months. I love reading about how when they turn to God and cry out to Him for help, He saves them in miraculous ways (and am also heeding the warning of the mistakes made by the kings who neglected God's help). I love reading about how God rescues His people and those who cry out to Him for help. He is such a good and loving God. There is no one like Him!
One of the kings that I especially love reading about is King Jehoshaphat (1 Kings 22:6-8; 2 Kings 3:9-11; 2 Chronicles 18:30-32; 2 Chronicles 19:4-10; 2 Chronicles 20). The three instances in his history that really stand out to me are (1) how he sought God the minute danger or a tough decision presented itself, (2) that when he was in battle he cried out to God and God saved him, and (3) when the Moabites and Ammonites came to attack Judah, Jehoshaphat cried out to God and God entirely fought the battle for Judah while they watched.
The third one is the historical event that CONSISTENTLY stays in my heart. Here's what God (through Jahaziel) tells Jehoshaphat after he cries out to Him for deliverance from the Moabites and Ammonites: "Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s. Tomorrow march down against them. They will be climbing up by the Pass of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the gorge in the Desert of Jeruel. You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.'" (2 Chronicles 20:15-17) How cool is that??!!!
Another historical event I love is how the LORD delivers Judah from the King of Assyria: "King Hezekiah and the prophet Isaiah son of Amoz cried out in prayer to heaven about this. And the LORD sent an angel, who annihilated all the fighting men and the commanders and officers in the camp of the Assyrian king." (2 Chronicles 32). Again, how awesome is that?!!
That's what I want to happen in my life - to cry out to God and have Him deliver me, especially this semester with my thesis and college success course. I would be a fool to think I could do this without the help of God. I desperately need Him to help me through this and fight these battles (thesis and college success course) for me. It is in His strength that I am relying and moving forward....not my own. I refuse to brag about my intelligence or hard work because that is entirely misleading. Without God, success would not be possible. So in that case, I can boast only in the fact that God has been with me through this master's degree and He is the one helping me to ace this program. I just pray that He continues to go before me and lead me through this to a successful and rewarding completion.
Yes, this semester is going to take hard work and good time management on my part, and lots of mercy and help from the LORD for this to work out successfully. However, I am actually excited because I can finally see the light at the end of an incredibly LONG tunnel, and I know God is with me!! May 15th cannot come soon enough!
Monday, January 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so proud of you Carissa!! I remember when you first started your master's program and had such a long road ahead of you. I know you still have a hefty semester in front of you, but I can't believe you are almost done!! Congrats!! I can't wait to celebrate with you in May! :)
Laura
Thank you so much Laura!! Yes, let's definitely have a party in May!!
Good luck with the half marathon next weekend!! I wanna see some pics of you in your snazzy running outfit! :)
Post a Comment