Saturday, October 1, 2011

Life Snapshot

Whew, once classes get going I find it very difficult to get on here and blog, probably has something to do with my spare time being a big fat ZERO.  I feel like my days look like this: wake-up, teach, advise, drive home, eat dinner, grade/prep 'til midnight or so, go to sleep, wake-up and do it all over again.  So much for assuming I would have a life after finishing my master's. :(

I am actually cutting back on my advising hours this semester. I think/hope that will help a lot by giving me more time for grading and prep work during the day, so once I get home I won't have to stay up so late doing that stuff.  I am cutting my hours back starting either this coming week or the week after, so we'll see how it goes.

Other than working, we pretty much spend our SMALL amount of spare time working on our home, grabbing drinks with friends, attending our weekly Bible study, or watching our Netflix queue.  We cut cable a long time ago and have just been using an antennae that Jared rigged in our attic along with our Apple TV which Jared rigged with plug-ins or add-ons or something like that.  It's actually been nice.... lots of fun tv shows for free!

We just finished up Mad Men season 4. I am so torn on how I feel about this show.  The story and the characters have sucked me in, but honestly, aside from the kids and their maid, there are no respectable characters on this show.  I have always hated advertising/marketing companies and pretty much think they are the devil, the men on this show are rarely faithful to their wives, women and colored people are treated with little respect, and Betty Draper Francis is the worst wife/mother ever.

Yes, I know a lot of the stuff on here is portraying how it was in the U.S. in the early 60's, but it doesn't mean I should like it. Yet, as I mentioned before, the story has sucked me in, even though I often feel upset with the characters and their business.  Yet, I am totally looking forward to season 5, and can't believe it doesn't start until 2012!  Oy vey....I make no sense to myself, whatsoever! haha

So anyways, we finished that show now, so I think we will be filling it in with the other tv shows on tv (parks and rec, the office, survivor, the good wife, big bang theory, raising hope) OR tv shows on our queue: X-Files season 2, Star Trek (original series) season 1, Psych season 1, and Sherlock Holmes (some series from the 80's).  We have some movies on there too, but those are more sporadic for us.  It sounds like a lot of tv, but really we only watch some every now and then... a show here a show there. The tv shows are nice and quick, and I can have them on in the background while I grade/prep. 

On a side note, if you are a fan of Sherlock Holmes, you NEED to check out the PBS Masterpiece Theater version they put out last year.  You can watch it for free on PBS or Netflix.  There are only three episodes and I love them. I hope they make more next year.

So in other news, I just went to CA last weekend (Friday evening - Monday evening) for my friend Crystal's wedding. It was an insane trip, but I am glad I made it to her wedding and was able to spend time with my family.  I say insane because I travelled a minimum of 4 hours every day I was out there.  Oh the things I will do to see my friends and family. ;)

I've really been so blessed that we've been able to fly home so much and that some of our family and dear friends have flown out here to stay with us.  Really so much of my heart is out in CA: my family and my closest/oldest friends.  It means so much to me when they actually make the effort to come out here and see us.  I know it's expensive to fly, so to have them consistently come out here every year is so awesome.  Next up we have Jared's friends coming out, then my parents are coming out for Thanksgiving.... I love it!

What's next? Well, tomorrow we get to go to our first professional football game ever.  We are going with some friends to watch the Texans. We are not Texans fans, but are looking forward to the experience, nonetheless! :)

Let's see.... I think that's it for now.  I need to get back to grading speeches. I have about 108 students this semester... that is a ton of freaking speeches to grade. As of now, I have about 40 to go.... boo :(

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We just have Netflix, too, and hulu. And I know what you mean about Mad Men. I had to stop watching it because it was stressing me out and frustrating me too much! Sam loves it and he's excited for the next season, too. :) And we love parks & rec and the office, and now the new girl and this new show terra nova. also modern family. :)

Carissa said...

Oh yes, we like The New Girl and Modern Family too! So funny!! :)