Monday, May 23, 2011

Graduation!

I know I graduated a couple weeks ago, but I don't feel like the busyness of my life stopped.  Today is the first day I have had a chance to sit down and write about my graduation experience and try to get caught up on other life/house things.

In a way, I still feel like I am in shock that I am officially done with my Master's degree.  At times it almost just feels like I am on a break in between classes, and then I have to remind myself, "no, you are actually done - no more papers and late nights!!"

The weight of the past 2 1/2 years is slowly lifting and it feels amazing.  I really don't know how to put into words the utter stress, work, and lack of sleep that I have endured throughout this program.... honestly I think the only people who really understand what I have been through are Jared and my parents because they were the only people I really confided in that whole time.... the people who had to help me through mental breakdowns, desires to quit, exhaustion, anxiety attacks, changing jobs mid-way through, juggling advising, teaching, and the masters program, etc.  I cannot thank them enough for the moral support that they gave me.  This would not have been possible without them.

It's odd... even though I am the one who went through the Master's program, Jared pretty much did too.  I told him that he should seriously get an honorary Master's for all of his help throughout my program.... I wonder if I can add his name to my diploma somehow ;)

Anyways, enough about that... on to graduation weekend.  I loved it!! It was so amazing and I am really glad that we decided to fly out for graduation instead of skipping it.  After all of that hard work I really wanted to experience walking across the stage with my friends and relish the moment.

The weekend itself was a whirlwind.  We left on Friday May 6 and returned on Sunday May 8.  I would have loved to have made it a longer trip and maybe hit up Seattle while we were there, but I had to get back to Houston to finish grading final projects for my Spring college course and then deliver their final exam that week.... hence the quick trip.

One of the highlights of the trip was that my parents were able to come and celebrate with us.  Our flights all had the same layover in Vegas and we ended up on the same plane to Spokane, which was a complete surprise to us -- my mom and I didn't realize we were sharing flights there and back until that Thursday before we left. We were so happy to discover that!!

So we shared a flight from Vegas to Spokane, hopped in our rental car and headed to our hotel.  Once we got settled we headed over to Gonzaga to pick up my graduation attire, then we enjoyed a delicious dinner at Clinkerdagger Restaurant which overlooked the Spokane River.  Then we spent some time walking around downtown Spokane and taking lots of pics of the beautiful scenery.

Saturday, we met up with two of my Gonzaga classmates (Jenel and Eleni) and their husbands for breakfast at Frank's Diner, which is supposed to be the best breakfast in Spokane.  It was really good and we all left feeling stuffed!  Then we headed over to Gonzaga to walk around and take pics, since it was my parents first time being there.  Around 2pm we headed back to the hotel so I could get ready for the ceremony that started around 4:45pm.

Jenel, Eleni, and I all met up to get signed in for our ceremony around 3pm, where we waited with all of the other graduates.  After about an hour, we lined up and began our procession into the Gonzaga McCarthy stadium.  They had several bagpipers playing as the graduates walked in, and I loved it.... I had so many emotions flooding my heart... mainly excitement and relief.

As we were sitting and listening to the president of the university speak, I realized I hadn't eaten anything in forever and was starving.  I didn't know what to do since the ceremony had already started so I texted Jared and told him.  I should have known better than to think I would have to just tough it out, because a few minutes later Jared was quietly walking next to the sitting graduates and brought me a bag of popcorn and some water!  I loved it and it was just what I needed.  The girls sitting next to me thought it was so sweet that he did that.... I did too :)

After the ceremony we headed over to a dining hall on campus where we ate and mingled with faculty and graduates.  Jenel and her husband, Eleni and her husband, my mom and dad, and Jared and I all ate together.  We had a lively conversation and lots of laughs.  Jenel and Eleni live in Chicago, so I don't typically get to see them in person.  I loved spending time with them!

I wanted to introduce my parents to my thesis instructor Dr. Crandall, but I think she left before we finished eating.  However, Jared and my parents did get to meet my thesis mentor Dr. Andenoro.  He is going to work with me over the summer to help me submit my thesis for publication in a Communication journal.  I am excited to pursue this!

After we finished dinner we headed back to the hotel to relax and celebrate with gifts!  I have to say my parents are probably the most generous people I know.  They have such giving, loving, and selfless hearts.  In my life experience, I find that those with little tend to give WAY more than those with much. I am so blessed to have them for my parents.

Sunday, we grabbed some breakfast and headed to the airport. We were able to fly together to Phoenix, but once there we had to part ways :(

Overall, I had an amazing graduation weekend.  It feels AMAZING to finally be done with this rigorous program, and to know that I did well in the program (straight A's!!).  I've already added the "M.A." to my email signature at work and that was fun to do!

Thank you sooo much to everyone who prayed for us and supported us along the way.  The Lord provided in amazing ways throughout this program.... I think He definitely carried me through many parts of this program.... and at some times dragged me through it.

I am sooooo thankful to Jared for his love and support along the way.  His love is probably the closest thing to unconditional love I can experience on a human level (aside from my parents).  He is the sweetest, most supportive husband and I absolutely cherish him.  I feel like this was a journey we completed together, and it is a journey that we are both glad has come to an end.

Here are some pics from my graduation weekend...

Carissa Graduation Pics

My Mom's Pics of the Graduation 


Isaiah 26:12 -- "LORD, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished You have done for us."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Way to go for finishing Carissa!!! I'm so impressed that you stuck it out. It made me think of Phil. 3:14, "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." I know there was a lot of pressing on in the last few years. Enjoy the prize of the degree and all that has been learned.

Carissa said...

Thanks Sarah!! :)