Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Next Steps....

Now that the Master's is complete, my next focal point is teaching public speaking courses at a local community college this summer.  I just received the textbook, so I have a little under two weeks to read it and completely prepare for this course.  I am little nervous because I have never taught public speaking and I have never taught a 5 week fast track course, so we'll see how this goes.

Right now I am scheduled to teach 2 public speaking courses during the 5A session at my community college this summer.  However, that depends on whether or not each class "makes."  I think the class needs to have at least 12 people enrolled in the course for it to "make."  As of last week, one course has around 17 people registered and the other course has 3.  I need to check it again when I am at work tomorrow, but it looks like the course with 3 people is in jeopardy.

Financially, it would really help for me to get two courses, however, I think my stress level would definitely increase with that.  So basically, I am just praying about it and leaving it up to God to decide.  If I only get one course then we will just have to trust Him to help us financially, and if I get two courses then I will trust Him to help my stress levels and such.

I'm not sure what I will be doing for the Fall semester yet.  I am still praying about how many classes to request and it also depends on whether or not they offer me courses again. That's the risky thing about adjunct teaching - ya never know what your schedule is going to be since it's a semester by semester thing.

I just need to be able to teach enough classes to pay for my HUGE, GIGANTIC student loan bill that will become active in November.  I am soooo not looking forward to that.  I think I will be 80 years old before I ever pay that sucker off.  Maybe I should start a "Help Carissa pay off her student loans" fund! haha :)

Well, that's about it for now.  Here's a pic of my bound thesis that I will be sending off to one of the colleges where I conducted my research.  I still need to work on getting it published to ProQuest before I start working on getting it published in a Communication journal. Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow.




No comments: