Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Life Update

Phone, Computer, and TV time have definitely taken a back seat since Jack arrived, so here is a little update of our life since Jack...

Week 1: July 1 - July 7
  • Jack arrived Monday July 2
  • We came home from the hospital Wednesday July 4... it was so nice being in our own home again and not having to be interrupted by nurses every few hours for vitals and what-not.
  • My mom had already been at our home since June 21 so she was still here to help us get settled and learn how to care for a newborn.  She was a HUGE help!!
  • Jack was super sleepy this first week which made nap time really easy and nursing a little more challenging trying to keep him awake
  • All in all week was was a success!
Week 2: July 8 - July 14
  • My family arrived!!  Dad, Hollie, Jake, and Erin all flew into Houston on Monday July 9. It was such a blessing to have my whole family here for that week!!  Loved it!!
  • This week was still super chill.  I was still recovering and we did not want to take Jack out of the house yet, so we all just spent time hanging out at our home.  Dad, Jake, Hollie, and Erin did get some time out to see a movie and hit up some restaurants too.
  • Tuesday July 10 was my bday and we had a relaxing bday at home.  Loved it!!  We ordered Pomodorro's pizza, ate some Cake Lady cake, and then watched Rushmore.  It was exactly what I wanted. :)
  • On Thursday, Jared and I took our first trip out of the home without Jack.  It wasn't anything super exciting; we actually went over to Jared's church to execute our will with some other church staff members. Fun Fun ;)  
  • Hollie took Jack's newborn pics...sooo excited for the announcements to arrive!!
  • On Saturday, mom, dad, and Erin all left....so Hollie and Jake were the only remaining family members with us.  Jake, Hollie, and I went out for some coffee while Jared watched Jack. It was nice to get out of the house for a bit, but I was glad to get back to Jared and Jack too :)
Week 3: July 15 - July 21
  • On Sunday, Hollie and Jake left. Dagger to the heart... my whole family was gone... I was dreading this day since I knew they had all booked their tickets a couple months ago. I definitely bawled on the couch with Jack while Jared took them to the airport.  Living away from my family is not fun...not fun at all.  I am seriously hoping and praying we can all live by each other again... soon... REALLY SOON.... my heart can not take this!
  • After my cryfest, I did dwell on thoughts of thanksgiving....thankful for the time we had together...very thankful! :)
  • This week was also the start of Jared's two week vacation!!  For two weeks it's just Jared, Me, and Jack.  We were very excited about this!!
  • Monday was Jack's 2 week pedi apt. He did great and the doc said he was a very healthy little boy... had grown 2 inches and gained 1 pound since birth. :)
  • The rest of the week we just chilled at our home...started reading Baby Wise (which we now realize we totally should have read before Jack arrived - oh well)....started getting Jack on a sleep, feed, wake schedule.... and are trying to get him to fall asleep on his own with out crying for long periods of time (still working on this one)
Week 4: July 22 - July 28
  • We are only a few days into this week and not much has changed.  Still reading through Baby Wise, still working on trying to get Jack to sleep on his own (he loves sleeping on us, but not in his cradle).
  • Jared is still off this week and is the runner...out running all the errands we need to run... I am staying home all the time and I love it.  I am trying to drink in all this "home" time I get before I have to go back to work later in August.
  • Need to start looking for babysitters to watch Jack on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11am-4:30pm.  I told my mom and Hollie they should fly out to babysit him every MW this semester.  They would only need to book 16 round trip flights (1 flight per week of the semester)... what is that like $6000? Pocket change, right? ;)
Here are some pics from the last four weeks....
































8 comments:

patsy said...

Carissa, thank you for sharing...that was interesting to read and I LOVE ALL the pics! You got some wonderful shots of your little guy! He is so CUTE!! He has such a SWEET SMILE and what a relaxing sleeper he is!

Hollie looks like she got in some special 'auntie' time! :) I'm so thankful your whole family got to be together!

Kristy said...

Love all the pictures! Glad to hear you are adjusting to your new life so well.

Carissa said...

Thank you, Kristy and Patsy! :) We are doing ok so far, but we definitely still have challenges (Jack napping), and I know that more challenges will come as the school semester starts and I have to juggle classes and a new baby....that part freaks me out!

Anonymous said...

Jack is adorable! Such a little cutie. So glad everyone got to be there and meet him. I'm with you Carissa, I'm sure Sharon and Hollie wouldn't mind watching him each week :) I hope you can all live closer one day too!

Everything Changes said...

You are probably already doing this, but swaddle him tight for naps like he was in the womb. Christian and Degi found this DVD that I will try and get the name of. I would not have believed it had I not witnessed it. But when the baby is fussy and crying, you swaddle tight, put in a particular position on your knee (baby on side), and you shush sustained . fairly loudly. Maybe it mimics the heart pulsing in the womb, too. Not sure, but it was magic!

Tereese said...

I love all your pictures...he is too sweet!! Oh, and Rudy wanted me to tell you "Congratulations" from him.

Carissa said...

Thanks Nancy! Yes, I am sooo hoping one day we can live closer!!

Thanks for the advice Lilly! We do swaddle him, but I am not aware of the knee position and sushing...let me know the name of that dvd...I am game to try almost anything :)

Thank you Tereese!! And thank you to Rudy too :)

Everything Changes said...

The DVD I mentioned is called "The Happiest Baby on the Block" Harvey Karp, M.D. It is amazing. Truly!